Do you have the opportunity to relocate for your career, but you are having trouble selling your home? Do you wonder why that is? Here are some possibilities:
- It is harder for buyers to get mortgages leaving a smaller percentage of buyers on the market for a new home
- Homes are not selling for the selling price, which leaves them with less cash on hand for a down payment to move themselves.
- Some homeowners are taking a loss when selling their home
So what are your options if you come across such problems in selling your home:
- Use a staging company. By using such a company, they will be able to make your home more appealing to buyers. A staged home has a better opportunity of selling by doing unbelievable magic to your home.
- Rent your home. Renting your home for a brief period may work for you, at least until the market is better or there are more buyers out there. Or look at doing a rent to own of your home.
- Make sure your home is priced right. If it is priced too high, buyers won’t even take the time to look at your home.
- Short Sale your home if you owe more than it is worth. Banks agree to take the proceeds of the sale as final payment.
- Ask your future employer if they are able to help at all or have a home sale assistance program.
- Your final option if all else fails is to foreclose on your home or decide not to take the new job, neither which you would really want to have to do
Here are also a few things NOT to do when your home won’t sell:
DON’T Update just to sell
DON’T Be Impatient
Every home has a buyer. We know it is stressful enough to be wanting to start a new career and having to relocate. Having to worry about selling your home on top of that makes it ten times worse, but selling your home can’t be rushed or have unrealistic expectations of selling. You may get lucky and have offers lining up, but that is all going to depend on the house market on whether or not that really happens. Talk to your realtor, talk to your new employment human resources, and keep an eye on what the market is at the time and decide what your best option is.